SQL Server 2017 on Linux
SQL server 2017 is released with new features and it can be installed on LINUX as well. SQL server 2017 can also run on Docker engine on Linux or Docker engine on windows and mac. SQL server 2017 can be installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Ubuntu. Now it will help the customer who has windows operating system only for the hosting SQL server on their data center and their complete application is running on LINUX platform. In this article we will discuss more about the features of SQL Server 2017 on Linux.
Switching to new operating system for any server first questions will arise as does this new release have all features compared to earlier releases? Yes, the SQL server 2017 is same database engine with many similar features and services regardless of Operating system.
Few Features which are dependent on the windows are not there in Linux version, but SQL server Linux version is just a replacement for the windows version with same APIs, the same features and the same management tools.
The best features of SQL server 2017 is its Azure active directory authentication, High Class availability and disaster recovery, SQL server agents and unparalleled data security.
SQL Server 2017 released with additional features on modules like
- SQL Server 2017 database engine
- SQL Server 2017 Integration Service (SSIS)
- SQL Server 2017 Master Data Service (MDS)
- SQL Server 2017 Analysis Services (SSAS)
- SQL Server 2017 Reporting Services (SSRS)
- SQL Server 2017 With Machine Learning
SQL Server 2017 also provides new capabilities like
- Graph data management and analysis
- Native Scoring in T-SQL
- Artificial intelligence with R and Python analytics
- Adaptive Query Processing
Operational Features available in SQL Server 2017 on Linux.
- Command line tools: sqlcmd, bcp, sqlpackage
- SQL Server Agent
- SSMS on windows connected to Linux
- Transparent data encryption
- Log Shipping
- Full-Text Search
Features which are not available in SQL Server 2017 on Linux.
- Always encrypted, ROW Level Security and data masking
- IN Memory OLTP and Column store
- Service Broker
- Change data capture
- JSON, XML
SQL Server 2017 virtual machine can be created on Azure portal as well. Now SQL Server 2017 virtual images on Linux and Windows are available on Azure Marketplace with flexibility, security and hybrid connectivity of Azure.
With addition with SQL server 2017 on Linux it also supports python programming and Artificial Intelligence with R. It also allow the machine language to be created and trained them.
We have discussed about the features of SQL Server 2017 in this article. I will write more on
- How to install SQL Server 2017 on Linux and
- How to create SQL Server 2017 virtual machine on Azure portal.
If you like this article, please share and comment your feedback on this.