In this article you will learn how to create & configure an Azure SQL database. Azure SQL database is a Database-as-a-Service offering that enables you to run and scale highly available SQL database in the cloud. Below Steps will show how to configure the SQL database in Azure.
1. Log into the Azure Portal: https://portal.azure.com . Once you login into the Azure Portal you can see the Azure Dashboard.
2. Click on Create a resource and search for SQL in the search box. Click on the SQL database icon.
3. Click on the Create icon and then it will ask for the database details and server details.
4. Fill the details of database and server for configuration. In the subscription section select as per your plan. Click on create icon and the database will starts deploying into the azure infrastructure.
5. Once the database is deployed we need to configure the firewall setting.
6. For firewall set up you need to give the range of IP address from which you want to access the SQL database and then save the settings.
7. Once the firewall setting is configure and database is deployed then need to install the SSMS (SQL server management studio) tool. You can download the SSMS tool from this link.
8. Copy Azure SQL logical server url:
9. Open SQL Server Management Studio once and paste Server Url, Select authentication as SQL Server Authentication. Provide Login and Password that you provided above in step no. 4
10. After logging into the SQL Server Management Studio tool you will connect to SQL database which is configured on Azure and can perform SQL commands like DDL (Data Definition Language ) , DML (Data Manipulation Language), DCL (Data Control Language) and TCL (Transaction Control Language)
If you want to install SQL Server 2017 on Linux, you can follow this blog.
Nazir is a senior consultant having over 10 years of experience in data warehouse development and implementation. He has strong experience in databases, ETL tools, and Linux/Unix Scripting. He has trained several batches on Azure SQL.